There are four trails in the New River Gorge/Sandstone Falls Area that include just under six miles of hiking. The highlight of the area is Sandstone Falls, which is one of the most dramatic scenes in the state. There is a short boardwalk at the falls as well as a loop trail around the floodplain forest just downstream of the falls. There are also two other trails in this area, the 3 mile Gwinn Ridge Trail loops the top of Chestnut Mountain, while the Big Branch Trail takes hikers to waterfalls an old farmstead and ridge views (just under 2 miles).
The New River Gorge/Sandstone Falls Area is located in southern WV near Hinton. Google directions below are to Sandstone Falls. Big Branch Trailhead 37.716911, -80.893199. Gwinn Ridge Trailhead 37.749037, -80.890840
Activities:Camping, Canoeing (Bluestone Lake), Fishing, Hiking, Sight Seeing, Swimming Hole, Whitewater (Bluestone River), Whitewater (Greenbrier River), Whitewater (New River)
- "New River Gorge Trail Guide"
- "Hiking and Biking in the New River Gorge- A Trail User's Guide"
- "Best Easy Day Hikes: New River Gorge"
- "Out There West Virginia, A Guide to Backcountry Travel and Adventure"
- "West Virginia Hiking Trails, Hiking the Mountain State"
- "Waterfalls of Virginia & West Virginia"